Before we even get started, let me acknowledge that this salad won’t be for everyone. But, if you have a palette for a few strong flavors, then this is the perfect antidote to those slightly depressing and less-than-fresh produce shelves. Why? Because, as you’ll see, other than the lettuce, we rely on a few key canned ingredients to prepare this uber-delicious twist on the Ceasar salad.
While this may be the simplest recipe we’ve ever published, don’t underestimate it’s quality. I realized we had to share the dish after Calder and I ate it at least a half dozen times over the course of a few weeks!
- romaine lettuce
- hearts of palm
- artichoke hearts
- black olives
- hard boiled eggs (approximately 1 per person or serving)
- grated parmesan
- Caesar dressing (we like this creamy one)
Preparation & Serving Suggestions
- I make this as a large side salad for the two of us, and find that I only need about 1/3 of the can of artichoke hearts and hearts of palm and about a quarter of a can of olives, but you can easily adjust those amounts to suit your taste.
- Since anchovies aren’t for everyone, they can easily be served on the side, which is what I also do with the egg since I eat them but Calder doesn’t.
- Finally, we think it’s fun to grate the cheese directly over our servings, so I put that on the table with a grater.
- And what else can I say about a salad? Add your dressing, give it a thorough toss, and enjoy!