Happy Monday! You have about two weeks to throw together a costume if you’re partaking in Halloween this time around. Last week we shared the Broken Doll and the week before, Katie offered up a few toddler suggestions: a Disco Ball and a Strong Man. Today I’m back with another super simple, yet iconic costume: a Troll Doll. Again, you must forgive the crappy cell phone pics. One of these days I’ll document a costume properly…
I dressed up like a Troll in 2010. At that time it was a throwback, Troll dolls being hella popular in the nineties, but now that the Trolls movie was such a hit, I feel like everyone will be clued in. Even though only a few people guessed my costume correctly back then, when I told them what it was they immediately knew, flipped out, jumped up and down and most gave me a hug. The next question was always about the hair, which every single person then squeezed. Troll dolls man, nostalgia in one cute and slightly strange costume. Here’s how it’s done:
Troll Doll Essentials :
- Funky boxers – I wore something like this pair. Anything colorful and funky will do.
- Nude tank top
- Tan flipflops or shoes of your choosing
- Iridescent paper for a bellybutton gem
- An empty disposable water bottle
- Spray on hair color
- Makeup if you please – I should have asked a friend to help! Eeek.
Some things explained :
- The bellybutton gem : cut a large diamond or circle out of the iridescent paper. Cut the shape much larger than your actual bellybutton as you’ll want it to be clearly visible. Use fashion tape or double-sided tape and adhere it to your nude tanktop.
- How to achieve high hair : It’s actually really easy. Find an empty water bottle. Remove the cap. Bend over and flip your head upside down so your hair is hanging down. Place the bottle on top of your head and gently gather all the hair around it, wrap a ponytail around the top of the bottle and your hair. Hairspray it a bunch and then flip your head right side up. The bottle is so light that you’ll forget your hair is up and you’ll most certainly hit it off taxi roofs and other small spaces. If your hair is shorter, use a crap ton of gel without a water bottle to create a similar (and in my opinion more realistic as far as troll dolls go) effect.
- How to get great hair color : shake the color spray for at least thirty seconds. Hold the can a foot away from your hair. It’s best to have a friend help and to do this outdoors. Cover your hair evenly, wait 3-5 minutes and repeat as many times as necessary.
That’s that y’all. There’s really nothing to it. This costume is especially great for a whole gaggle of friends. Whatever you do, don’t forget to strike the Troll pose – arms out, fingers spread!