Summer is for swimming and reading and napping and popsicles, at least that’s what I always say. Sometimes I find it hard to stay focused on my screen when the sun is shining outside. I usually reward myself for working with little popsicle breaks. Who needs a lunch break anyway? I’d rather have three popsicle and iced coffee breaks instead.
A couple weeks ago, we shared some popsicle inspiration. I mentioned that Paletas by Fany Gerson of La Newyorkina is an amazing recipe resource for popsicles and shaved ice. Today’s recipe is straight from Paletas. While we love sharing original recipes, sometimes the best ones are already out there and that’s totally the case with these creamy avocado lime popsicles. The key is to use ripe avocados. Remember we taught you how to pick and de-pit them? Time to put those skills to use!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 small ripe avocados
- Pinch of salt
- 2 T freshly squeezed lime juice (shh! we used bottled lime juice)
- small sauce pot
- blender or food processor
- popsicle molds ( + sticks if necessary)
- Combine the water and sugar in a small sauce pot and cook over medium heat. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Remove from heat once the sugar has dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop the avocado into a blender. Add the cooled sugar mixture and pinch of salt.
- Blend until smooth, making sure all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the lime juice and blend until just combined. Because of the price of limes, I got into the habit of buying bottled lime juice this year. That’s what I used in this recipe and I cannot tell the difference one bit.
- If using popsicle molds, fill the molds, and freeze until solid. If using glasses or other unconventional molds, freeze for a couple hours (until the popsicles are beginning to set) and then insert the sticks and freeze until solid. The recipe makes six pops.
I have a feeling I’ll be making these popsicles all summer long. They’re cold, creamy and fresh tasting. I really couldn’t have asked for a better work-break treat. Now I’m dying to visit La Newyorkina to see what else Fany has up her sleeve. Hope you cool cats love them!