At the end of each season, we take a look back and highlight our favorite posts. See previous Seasonal Bests here.
I don’t know about you, but for me fall seemed to creep along during September and October, and then November passed in a flash! I can’t believe that Monday will be December. I can’t put my finger on exactly what’s making it seem different this year, it
probably most definitely has something to do with Little A being old enough to start enjoying the magic. Anyway, while we’re excited to jump into winter with both feet, we also love taking a moment to look back and relish all things fall.
Best of Main Dishes
- Sarah’s pick : I’m a big fan of Katie’s Roasted Root & Squash Soup for three reasons. First, it is a dish that spans two seasons and can easily be modified to include whatever roots and squash you have on hand. Second, it is packed with veggies and can be vegan if you leave out the cheese garnish. Third, it is a great recipe for a beginner cook. No tricky steps or hard to find ingredients in this dish.
- Katie’s pick : Sarah’s Thanksgiving Inspired Tapas! Every time I look at that post, I wish I were a guest at the table. It’s a perfect twist on the traditional Thanksgiving dinner and looks delicious. And I have to admit that I usually shy away from tapas restaurants because I assume that I’m going to leave hungry, so I really like the idea of serving tapas at home, and know that I won’t be craving more because the leftovers are in the fridge.
Best of Desserts
- Sarah’s pick : I’m in love with the mini no bake pumpkin pies. They’re creamy and chewy and they are packed with protein. I’m not going to pretend that I always eat healthy desserts, but these pumpkin pies are my new favorites.
- Katie’s pick : I’ll take a good apple crisp any day, especially one with cranberries! And yes, I’m totally cheating, because this should be in the “Best of Breakfasts” category for me.
Best of Alcoholic Drinks
- Sarah’s pick : Katie served me my first Apple Sidecar and I remember taking a nap immediately afterwards. This time I took her advice and added a big chunk of ice to my drink. Delicious and festive, this apple sidecar deserves a spot on your holiday cocktail menu.
- Katie’s pick : It’s been a long time since I had an Appletini, but Sarah’s post took me right back to a bar in Philly where we would get cheap appletinis at happy hour. I’m sure they have nothing on Sarah’s well-garnished drink. I’ll just add it to the growing list of post-baby drinks!
Best of Non-Alcoholic Drinks
- Sarah’s pick : There was no contest here, Kate’s Sparkling Cider Mocktails are by far the best non-alcoholic drink of the season. I wish I had a little crew of kids to serve up these special drinks to. I know they would really appreciate them. I always loved Shirley Temples growing up, but they’re no comparison to these special sparkling holiday mocktails. Without any kiddos around, I make these mocktails during the middle of the day as motivation to keep editing and accomplishing menial tasks around the house.
- Katie’s pick : I’m eyeing Sarah’s Fresh Apple, Carrot, Ginger Juice. That sweet and spicy combination, just seems so perfectly refreshing at any time of year, but especially have a good fall hike… and really, really miss when Sarah and her juicer lived with us!
Best of Cheese
- Sarah’s pick : My favorite was the first cheese we featured, Nut Crusted Brie. I love the gooey baked cheese along with the crunch of the nuts.
- Katie’s pick : Brie with Truffle Honey. I want to eat it every day.
Best of Crafts
- Sarah’s pick : I loved looking back at the craft category and seeing how many natural crafts we made this fall. I enjoyed making the leaf garland and outdoor twig wreath, but my favorite has to be Kate’s dried fruit garland. I just love the look of sliced oranges and apples, if you haven’t made it yet, turn on that oven!
- Katie’s pick : I had as much fun making the witch window silhouette as I did seeing it every night in our window. I also think it’s a project that was worth the time and effort, because we should be able to reuse it for years to come.
Best of Style
- Sarah’s pick : We don’t do many fashion features on Seasoned, but I do give glimpses of my daily threads. I’m loving these dressed yet comfortable pixie pants that I picked up at Old Navy.
- Katie’s pick : Admittedly most days you’ll find me in yoga pants, but when I do get dressed to leave the house, I’m wearing some version of my Fall Favorites. So maybe I’m picking it not necessarily because it’s the best style, but because it’s my perfect fall wardrobe, and it never gets old.
Best of Potions
- Sarah’s pick : Even though this potion was a tiny bit smelly, I enjoyed making my own pore strips. Super duper cheap and really easy too.
- Katie’s pick : I’m going with the Dandruff Shampoo because it was so stinking easy to make, and it worked!
Best of Nature
- Sarah’s pick : Can I cheat and mention two posts? First, I loved researching and writing about the Boulder Flat Irons Hike almost as much as I enjoyed the trek itself. It is so much easier to take photos and really enjoy the landscape when you don’t have a crazy hound dog along for the walk. Second, I had a great time making the photograph and turning it into a quote celebrating the Autumnal Equinox. Celebrating natural holidays is very important to me so spending time outside this year and creating this image was my way of thanking the earth.
- Katie’s pick : I found Sarah’s Tips for Taking Fantastic Fall Photos to be so helpful. It’s not specifically a nature post, but it’s the type of post that inspires me to get out there and enjoy nature a bit more, even if it is through the lens of my camera.
Best of Around Town
- Sarah’s pick : While this better suits the category Best of Around the World, I had a great time revisiting Thailand for this Bangkok City Guide.
- Katie’s pick : I loved our visit to the local Kombucha brewer. Getting the chance to taste-test so many flavors at once was a great exploratory mission. I now know that I love so many flavors beyond my old stand-by. And it was awesome to discover this Boulder gem with Sarah.
Any favorite posts that you didn’t see on the list? Let us know in the comments 🙂